Rain and lightning have the last word in Blast.10th August 2018

 In Recent, SURREY CCC

9th  AUGUST 2018

                                        SURREY       vs     SUSSEX  SHARKS

                                      Vitality Blast Thursday 9th August 2018

                                             Peter Moore at the Kia Oval

                                       Sussex   159-2 (13)      Surrey    

                                   Match abandoned     

Bad weather, coupled with a threat of lightning, meant that both Surrey and Sussex had to settle with a point apiece in the Vitality Blast game at the Kia Oval.

The visitors managed to score an impressive 159 for 2 from 13 overs in a shortened game following afternoon rain. But after more rain arrived and lightning in surrounding areas, the match was abandoned.

Luke Wright hit a 30 ball 55, along with Laurie Evans 48 off 24 balls to set Surrey a stiff target.

After a day of constant rain in London which eventually eased up around 5.30, Umpires Paul pollard and Tim Robinson inspected the ground around 6 PM. They then made a further inspection at 7, where it was decided the game would start at 7.45, with the match reduced to 15 overs per side, with both sides desperate to play to maintain their push for the quarter finals. Surrey were hampered by the loss of Australian opener Aaron Finch, who has had to return home to Australia following a family bereavement. The Australian- who has been in outstanding form for Surrey- will also miss Surrey’s next two South Group games against Somerset and Gloucestershire


Surrey won the toss and elected to put Sussex in to bat. The visitors were given a life early on when Philip Salt was put down at mid on when he made nine.  With the powerplay after the opening 4.3 overs, the Sharks openers smashed 59 runs, with Luke Wright hitting 36. Rikki Clarke was introduced into the attack in the sixth over, with his first ball- a waist high full toss- was despatched for six by Salt. Next delivery Clarke got his revenge when Salt(33) top edged a delivery that was taken by Clarke. The experienced campaigner Clarke struck again when he bowled Wright(55) to leave Sharks 105-2 in the 10th over.

With the Surrey attack being despatched all around the ground- with Tom Curran 0-37 off two overs and Matt Pillans 0-31 off 2 particularly expensive, the Sharks had posted 159-2 after 13 overs when the players were taken of the field at 8.55, as the rain came down along with lightning in the area.

Unfortunately, with drizzle and more importantly lightning still around along with the cut off time rapidly approaching, the umpires had no alternative but to abandon the game.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.