Nine-Man Cards are robbed at the death of a crucial point. 6th February 2019

 In Recent, WOKING FC

5th February 2019

                               Woking   0       Dartford   1

                             Vanarama National League Tuesday 5th February 2019

                                  Attendance: 1,190

                                     Peter Moore at the Laithwaite Community Stadium

Woking’s promotion bid suffered a setback after they were beaten by a Dartford goal deep into stoppage time at the Laithwaite.

The visitor’s Robbie Vint broke Woking’s strong resistance after heading home from a corner after six minutes of stoppage time to inflict defeat on their play-off rivals against nine men of Woking.

Woking gave a debut to 30-year-old Dave Tarpey, signed from Vanarama National League side Barnet on a 28-day loan. The only other change to the side that last played a National League South game almost ten days ago was the return of Harvey Bradbury to the starting line-up.

On a wet evening in Surrey it was new loan signing Tarpey who tested The Darts keeper Bailey Vose early on by cutting inside and sending a shot in which a diving Vose cleared. Seconds later Vose was called into action again by pushing away a Paul Hodges shot. The lively Tarpey was once again in the action following a flick from Bradbury into the path of Tarpey, with Vose racing out of his area, the Barnet loanee poked the ball wide.

With half time rapidly approaching, Dartford almost took the lead when Ben Greenhaigh’s shot across goal came off the post following a penalty appeal. Two further shots in a goalmouth scramble were cleared of the line as the deadlock was still to be broken at the break.

After 60 minutes Woking were reduced to ten men when Ben Gerring was shown a second yellow card. Initially Gerring was shown his second yellow by Referee Christopher O’Donnell, but the official hadn’t realised he had already booked him. This was only brought to his attention when the Dartford bench pointed this out to the fourth official. Eventually O’Donnell called Gerring over to him and produced the red card.

After the confusion, Woking almost broke the deadlock when Jack Cook’s effort was well saved by Vose. The hosts were then reduced to nine men in the 78th minute when Armani Little, having won a free kick, then proceeded to stamp on Lee Noble’s head, leaving Referee O’Donnell no option but to produce the red card.

Despite having a two-man advantage, the Darts were struggling to break Woking down in the remainder of the game until six minutes of added time was shown.  Ronnie Vint almost thought he had won it when his shot was somehow saved by his legs from Craig Ross. With seconds remaining a corner was awarded to Dartford, and at the far post there was Vint to head home the winner and break Woking’s heart.




Dave Tarpey. Credit: David Holmes
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.