Little’s stunning strike seals Cards return to the National League.13th May 2019

 In Recent, WOKING FC

                               Woking   1     Welling    0

                            Vanarama National League South Play-Off Final

                         Sunday 12th May 2019

                              Attendance:  4,865  (809)

                              Peter Moore  at The Laithwaite Community Stadium

Woking booked their place in next season’s National League, twelves months after getting relegated, thanks to a stunning free-kick from Armani Little in their play-off final against Welling.

In a match up between the sides that finished second and third in the League, Armani’s touch of class was the difference between the teams on a very tense afternoon in Surrey.

Manager Alan Dowson made two changes to the side that produced that dramatic comeback against Wealdstone in last Sunday’s semi-final. Kane Ferdinand and Jake Hyde- who nabbed the winner last week- both started for the Cards against a Welling side who Woking hadn’t lost against in three games against them this season.

On a glorious afternoon for mid-May, it was Welling who created the first chance of the game when Danny Mills fired into the side netting.

The best chance of a cagey first half fell on the half hour mark to the Wings when a Moussa Diarra slip let in Bradley Goldberg, but his effort came of the inside of the post and rolled into the hands of Craig Ross.

With five minutes until half-time the deadlock was broken when a free-kick right on the edge of the D was taken by Armani Little. The youngster sent a sensational strike into the top corner of the net to give Dan Wilks no chance as the Cards went into the break with a slender one goal lead.

Woking had a great chance to double their advantage in the 57th minute when Kieron Cadogan played a lovely ball through to Jake Hyde, with the keeper to beat the striker’s shot was deflected wide by the foot of Wilks.

The Cards pressed for a second with Reise Allassani’s shot blocked by Wilks. With almost an hour played Woking stopper Craig Ross was called into action for the first time when he produced a fine save to deny Mills.

With the game on a knife edge and the Cards having to soak up a huge amount of pressure, Hyde almost eased the pressure with a ferocious shot, which was punched away by Wilks. Woking had to defend for their lives with five minutes of added time to be played, but they hung on to secure their place back in the Vanarama National League next season.


Alan Dowson and Ian Dyer. Woking FC
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.