Hyde’s brace seals Cards comeback victory against Bluebirds. 31st August 2019

 In Recent, WOKING FC

                                 Woking  3  Barrow  2

                              Vanarama National League  Saturday 31st August 2019

                                  Attendance: 1,787

                                    Peter Moore at the Laithwaite Community Stadium

Woking’s fairy tale start to life back in the National League continued with a hard thought 3-2 victory against Barrow, to maintain their position at the top of the table,

The Cards had to come from behind to record their sixth consecutive victory after conceding a first half effort from Barrow’s Oliver Dyson. A Tyreke Johnson header drew Woking level before the Cards took the lead for the first time in the match through a Jake Hyde penalty. Barrow quickly hit back with Josh Kay on target. But a late strike from Hyde sealed the points for the Cards.

Woking started on the front foot with a Dave Tarpey free kick well saved by visiting keeper Joel Dixon. Following a corner in the 12th minute the Cards took the lead when Shaun Donnellan’s thunderous shot from 30 yards out cannoned of the post.

It took the visitors until the 23rd minute to carve out their first chance of the match when Dior Angus was on the end of a patient build up from the Blue birds with Craig Ross saving well to his left. The visitors took the lead in the 26th minute when Dyson’s shot nestled into the bottom corner of the net.

The Cards were dealt a blow a couple of minutes later when Ben Gerring went of with a dead leg to be replaced by Moussa Diarra. Four minutes later came the controversial moment of the match when Kayne Ferdinand looked to be pulled down inside the area, only for Referee Declan Bourne to book Ferdinand for diving.

Before the break Woking should have drawn level, but Tarpey’s effort went into the side netting as the visitors went in at half time 1-0 to the good.

The second half started with the rain lashing down across the stadium with Woking almost levelling when Toby Edser put in a lovely free kick with Jack Cook’s header brilliant saved from point blank range from Dixon with Diarra following up, but his header went wide of the mark.

In the 54th minute Woking equalised and again it was Edser at the heart of the action. He whipped in an inviting cross with Johnson on the end of it. The second half was end to end with both sides going for it. Dixon was called into action again, this time denying Diarra with an excellent reflex save.

In the 67th minute Woking took the lead for the first time in the match after Hyde was brought down in the box by Jason Taylor. At first the referee gave a free kick before changing his mind and awarding a penalty. Up stepped Hyde to rifle the spot kick past Dixon.

Barrow made an inspired substitution in the 73rd minute by bringing on Josh Kay, within a minute he had drawn the Bluebirds level after shooting low past Ross.

Woking claimed all three points in the 78th minute when Hyde intercepted a poor back pass to calmly round Dixon to score his sixth goal in the past four games.

There was even time for Barrow Manager Ian Evatt to be shown a yellow card for taking out his frustrations on the officials. Despite four minutes of added time, Woking held on to complete another win and extend their position at the top of the table to two points.


































































































































































































































































Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.