Four try Falcons defeat Quins in wintry conditions in SW London. 25th February 2018


24th February 2018

                               HARLEQUINS    10    NEWCASTLE  FALCONS  28

                                       Peter Moore at The Stoop

Three yellow cards for Harlequins proved costly as Falcons scored three second half tries to defeat Quins and win at the Stoop for the first time since 2000.

Quins went into todays game with four changes from the side that suffered a loss at Welford Road seven days ago.

Charlie Walker returned from a rib injury, with Alofa Alofa making his 50th appearance for Quins. Both Captain James Horwell and Ben Glynn returned from injury to start in the second row. Mark Lambert came into the side in place of Lewis Boyce at loosehead.  On the Replacements bench, Fly-Half Demetri Catrakillis returned to the side after a long lay off from injury. The Fly-Half was named in the side for only the second time this season after suffering a bad throat injury in Round 2 of Premiership matches.

On a bitterly cold but sunny Saturday afternoon in South West London, it was the hosts who were on the board early. In the 8th minute following an attacking lineout 15 metres out, the ball was worked to Captain James Horwill who barged over. Marcus Smith converted to give Harlequins a 7-0 lead. Following an altercation at the breakdown both number 8’s namely Quins James Chisholm and Falcons Nili Latu were both shown a yellow card. With eleven minutes of the half to go Harlequins Joe Gray was sent to the sin bin for ten minutes for collapsing the maul. Falcons capitalised on this when replacement Callum Chick went over with Toby Flood converting to tie the game.

With 40 minutes up on the clock and Falcons deep into Quins territory, Referee Foley showed Harlequins Alofa Alofa a yellow card. Falcons were camped inside Quins ten-meter line, but outstanding Quins defending turned the ball over to send the sides into the break at 7-7.

Marcus Smith nudged Quins ahead with a penalty shortly after the break, but Falcons hit back to take the lead for the first time in the match with two tries in a couple of minutes. A pick and go saw Kyle Cooper go over then Chris Harris crossed to give Newcastle a 21-10 lead.  Falcons added another try in the 65th minute when Sinoti   Sinoti went over in the corner to claim the try bonus point. Replacement Hodgson added the extras to give Falcons a commanding 17 point lead. John Kingston emptied the bench by throwing on a lot of replacements including Catrakilis, but it made little difference as Newcastle ran out comfortable winners and send Harlequins to their fourth successive Premiership defeat, the first time this has happened since 2006/7.




Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.