Cards survive last minute scare to hold on for win against Pool. 7th December 2019

 In Recent, WOKING FC                          Craig Ross, speaking to Peter Moore after the game

                            Woking   2       Hartlepool United   1

                         Vanarama National League Saturday 7th December 2019

                                     Attendance: 2,127 (205)

                                Peter Moore at the Laithwaite Community Stadium

Woking had to come from a goal down to complete a 2-1 victory against Hartlepool on Saturday.

The visitors took a first half lead through a Gime Toure, before Woking hit back with second half strikes from Jake Hyde and Dave Tarpey to seal their first home Saturday league win since the end of August.

Woking welcomed back Kane Ferdinand after being sidelined with an injury for the past three games. Godfrey Poku returned to the starting line up after serving a one game suspension, with Nathan Collier also restored back into the side as one of three changes made to the side that suffered a 1-0 loss at Boreham Wood last Saturday.

The visitors shaded the early stages despite Max Kretztschmar carving out the Cards first chance of the half by sending a curling shot just over the bar before Woking almost presented Hartlepool with an early Christmas present when Shaun Donnellan’s misplaced pass went straight to Gus Mafuta, the midfielder saw Craig Ross off his line, but the Woking stopper had to back track to claim the ball under the bar.

The deadlock was broken in the 23rd minute when Hartlepool were awarded a penalty when Jack Cook brought down Luke James in the box. Up stepped Pools leading goalscorer  Toure who smashed the spotkick straight down the middle to give Craig Ross no chance, for his 11th goal of the season.

The Monkey Hangers had a glorious chance to double their lead when Toure’s shot was charged down with the ball falling to Nicky Featherstone, but he fluffed his lines by firing over from a good position.

Woking thought they had equalised in added time when Ferdinand headed home a Casey free kick, only for the Cards celebrations to be cut short when an assistant referee’s flag went up after a delay.

The hosts looked a better side in the second half and constant pressure eventually paid off when they drew level in the 67th minute when substitute Paul Hodges effort was blocked, with the ball falling to the prolific  Hyde who swivelled inside the area and buried a shot past Ben Killip for his 12th goal of the season.

Woking turned the game around in the 78th minute when Tarpey picked up the ball and ran just outside the area to send an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net for his seventh goal of the season.

There was still time for added drama deep into stoppage time when Hartlepool almost snatched a point when a header from Kenton Richardson crashed of the bar, much to the relief of the home fans, as the Cards moved up to fourth place in the table.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.