Cards see off lowly Seagulls to maintain promotion push. 17th February 2019

 In Recent, WOKING FC

16th February 2019

                                     WOKING   2    WESTON-SUPER-MARE  1

              Vanarama National League South Saturday 16th February  2019

                               Attendance: 1,624

                                       Peter Moore at the Laithwaite Community Stadium

Woking cut the gap to just a single point behind leaders Torquay after completing victory against a spirited Weston Super Mare side.

A Dave Tarpey penalty and a second half strike from debutant Reise Allassani ensured victory against the leagues bottom side, despite the visitors getting a stoppage time goal from

 Woking made three changes to the side that defeated East Thurrock United last Saturday, with Dan Spence, Ian Gayle and Reise Allassani making the starting line up in place of the suspended pair of Armani Little and Ben Gerring.

Allassani, joined the Cards this week on a one-month loan spell from Football League side Coventry City. On the bench was another player signed this week by the Cards. Michael Kamara has signed for the club on non-contract terms.

Within 90 seconds Woking looked to have a big claim for a penalty turned down when Paul Hodges appeared to be pushed in the back and went down inside the area, but despite strong Woking appeals Referee Jason Richardson decided against awarding a spot kick.  The Seagulls- who started the day sitting at the bottom of the table- hit Woking on the counter attack, but full back Jason Pope’s shot hit the side netting.

Woking broke the deadlock in the 9th minute when Hodges was tripped inside the area by Jake Lee. This time Referee Richardson pointed to the spot, with Dave Tarpey stepping up his effort was saved by Luke Purnell, but the Cards striker followed up with the rebound by stabbing home.

Despite their lowly position at the foot of the table, the Seagulls started to grow into the game and went close when Craig Ross was called into action by steering a shot away from George Nurse.

A scrappy second half was livened up by sixty seconds of action that could have seen the Seagulls draw level, but instead saw Woking grab a second. A free kick from the visitors was parried by Ross, following a goalmouth scramble Ian Gayle cleared off the line. Woking immediately broke away with a Greg Luer pass finding both Jake Hyde and Reise Allassani queuing up to get the final touch. It was the Coventry loanee who won that battle to steer the ball past Purnell. There was still time for the visitors to grab a late consolation goal in stoppage time when substitute Jarrad Welch’s volley beat Craig Ross, in what turned out to be the last action of the game, as the Cards secured another three home points.






Dave Tarpey. Credit: David Holmes
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.