Cards relegation fight undone by two late strikes by the Magpies. 12th

 In Recent, WOKING FC

12th April 2018

                               MAIDENHEAD UNITED  2      WOKING 1

                       Vanarama National League Tuesday 10th April 2018

                                Attendance: 1,301

                                   Peter Moore at York Road

Despite opening the scoring 14 minutes from time through Jonathan Edwards, Woking’s away blues continued after they slipped to a 2-1 defeat to the Magpies. Within ten minutes, the Cards had conceded two goals, that leaves them just a single point of the relegation zone, with three more games remaining.

Woking went into the game with an unchanged line up after grabbing a point against Dagenham and Redbridge on Saturday.

It was the hosts who started the brighter of the sides with the lions share of possession. After just six minutes following a pass from Harry Pritchard, Sean marks sent an effort wide of the post. With 13 minutes on the clock the Magpies had another chance to break the deadlock when Cards Keeper Nathan Baxter came racing out of his are, Moses Emmanuel cleverly lobbed the ball over Baxter, but saw his effort bounce wide of the post.  Nathan Baxter pulled out a fine save to deny Pritchard’s curling shot that was heading towards the top corner as the hosts looked the likely of the sides to go into the break with a goal to the good.

Within eight minutes of the restart Louie Theophanous was bearing down on goal following a fine run, only to see his effort go just wide of Carl Pentney’s post. With a game that had the recipe for just a single goal to win it, the deadlock was broken on 77 minutes by the visitors. A poor header back to his keeper from full back Rene Steer caused panic between Steer and Pentney. Regan Charles-Cook pounced and sensibly laid the ball back to Jonathan Edwards who thumped the ball into the back of the net in front of a large away following to Berkshire.

The cards had 13 minutes to hold on to a crucial three points, and their first away victory since October. In the 81st minute Maidenhead drew level. A free kick from Ryan Upward was whipped into the box and there was substitute Adrian Clifton planting a bullet header past Baxter. At that point the Cards would have been happy with a point, but with only two minutes to go, Maidenhead landed a sucker-punch. Following a breakaway found Sam Barratt breaking down the left-hand side. The substitutes low cross found Sean Marks who had a simple tap-in past Baxter to turn the game on its head.

At this point the Magpies were content to hold on to what they had and were relieved when Referee Carl Brook blew his whistle for full time. The victory surely sees the Magpies safe, but for the Cards their future is very much in the balance. With home games to come against Bromley and Dover and a trip sandwiched in  against relegation threatened Guisely, Woking have a huge task to drag themselves from safety, and preserve their National league life for another season.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Dean Elgar